Tuesday, June 21, 2011

{She Troubleshoots} Kicking press releases to the curb

When I launched Stick Me Designs back in 2007, I was fired up and ready to take over the world. I had dabbled with writing press releases and knew that if I could work up a great release that all I had to do was get it out 'there'. While in all honesty I cannot deny the few website hits, and maybe a couple hundred dollars in sales...the honest truth was that my $1000+ dollars spent in sending out my release was futile.

Not only did I not get my investment back...but it discouraged me and dimmed my fire a bit. But after experiencing that I now realize that it was all in the delivery...

--} Here's why you should kick mass press releases to the curb{--

Media outlets, editors and blog authors are hammered with 'junk' every day all day. Your
press release all dolled up and pretty is more than likely gonna end up in the delete file, or better yet the trash. Save the send button, the stamp and the effort with mass mailings of your release.


--} Troubleshoot: Instead get the name of a contact where you'd like to pitch. Find a relevant and timely manner to pitch your products or services. If your product is friendly to mother earth, promote a 'gift with a cause'. Or maybe your product is great for expecting mothers, pitch your product or service as the perfect baby showers gift idea.

Think specific for the outlet, and timely for upcoming seasons or events. The more you can focus on each outle
t the better your chances for actually getting the attention of time-strapped media outlets. Make it as easy as pie to contact you, look you up and ultimately make a decision to share you with their audience.

What about you how have you troubleshot your way into the media? Let me hear your surefires...

1 comment:

  1. I cannot tell you how much money I've spent on press release writing and submitting to outlets with little to no success. Seems like with the 'invention' of social media the way we connect is yet again evolving...thanks for sharing your view.

    ReplyDelete